Is Show Choir For You?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Show Choir For You?

Asiana Klassen, Journalism Student

North High School student and senior performer of show choir, Julianne Vang, shares information, as well as her thoughts and opinions on show choir. Vang talks about how long the practices are and how often they practice for each show. She says, “We practice every other day for one to two hours, but on fridays we have an additional two hour practice after school.” With the one to two hour practices and the in school performances, the show choir performs better and better each time. You can say that hard work and dedication can get you a long way.

Even though the group looks so glamorous with the lights, bright costumes, well done makeup, fluffy hair and well put together dance moves there’s pros and cons to being in this big group. Vang decided to start with the cons and says, “A big con is that it’s super time consuming and learning the dance could be super frustrating for people, especially the newbies.”
Then she continues to talk about the pros, “But pros are when we get through all of the cons, we get to perform it for people and I love the audience cheering and the big bright lights and the awards and the live music playing directly behind us.”

If you ever wanted to be apart of show choir, Vang says, “Showing up to the auditions with confidence and dancing/singing without the fear of making mistakes and coming prepared gives you a huge advantage of making it in. A trick that makes you stand out is your facial expressions. If the audition song is a happy song, show the judges your happiest expressions because show choir also has to do with acting on stage according to the music we perform.” So if you’re capable of doing all that work then audition.

Vang also compares football and show choir together, “There’s so much dedication and commitment that is actually put into working together as a group to make every show happen because it’s literally blood, sweat, and tears. Comparing to (extremely popular sport) football, we get injured as easily as those players and we bond and work together just as much as they do. It’s just that when we are out on “our field” we put the extra work into it by singing full out. So I don’t understand why show choir tends to be less appreciated. If we made football players sing while they’re playing, they probably couldn’t do it. So who’s more badass?” Nobody could have said it any better. Thanks Julianne Vang.