North grad Emily Strobel Lewis to compete on Jeopardy!

Emily Strobel Lewis (North '07) with Alex Trebec

A North High graduate will soon be appearing as a contestant on Jeopardy!, the popular quiz show hosted by Alex Trebec.
Emily Strobel (who now goes by the name Emily Strobel Lewis), a member of the North High class of 2007, will be competing in the January 30 episode of the program. She shared a few thoughts with POLARPRINTS.ORG to tell about her experience.
I understand you are appearing on the Jan. 30 episode of the show. Is that correct?
Correct. It will air locally (Minnesota time) at 4:30 PM on KARE 11 (channel 11).

How did you get to be on the show?
It is a bit of a long process. First you take a 50 question online test which is open to the general public. They said for the test that I participated in totaled about 75,000 people, back in May of 2017. Then, based on the amount of questions you get right (you don’t get a specific score) they either choose to pass on you or call you for an in person audition in select cities. My audition was about 20-30 people and one of two set up for that day in July. They said that they call in about 4000 people total for this stage of contestant selection. At this audition you then take another 50 question written test and then do a quick practice round of the show with two other potential contestants. This portion is recorded for a screen test to see how we act on camera. Then from that group of 4000 the producers pick roughly 400 total contestants based on test scores and how well they did on the screen for each season. Based on the numbers provided by the producers when I went to tape I was in the 0.5% of total possible contestants to make it on this season.

What are you doing in life at present?
I am currently a merchandise planner at Petco Corporate in San Diego, CA. I am in charge of the financials in the pet supplies portion of the company, which covers 1500 stores nationwide.
What else can you tell us about your life after North High?
After graduating in 2007 I went on to the College of Saint Scholastica in Duluth, MN, where I majored in Mathematics, Economics, and Finance and graduated Summa Cum Laude in 2011. Prior to leaving MN last April, I was most recently a buyer for newborn apparel at Target Corporate in Minneapolis. I’ve been married to my husband, Fletcher, since October of 2015 and we have a dog, a German Shepherd/Beagle mix named Mac.

Emily Strobel Lewis in 2006-07, when she was a North High senior

What advice do you have for the North High students of the present?
Studying and doing well in school now pays off tenfold later. Whether it sets you up better for your future career or gets you scholarship money to help pay for college, it can aid you more than you would think.

Is there a specific life experience you can specify that contributed to your making it onto Jeopardy?
I’ve enjoyed game shows my whole life and always aspired to one day be on one, even if it was more of a farce than a serious endeavor. However, the fun of a quiz based show always drew me in since my Quiz Bowl days back at North. Nothing beats buzzing in first and getting a correct answer!

Are there any teachers from your time at North High that you would like to mention or “say hello to” in this interview?
Based on the current faculty list, Hi to Mr. Simms, Mr. Hackney, Ms. Meyer, Mr. Hegi and Mr. Reynolds! These teachers definitely helped push my interests in different fields of study that helped me get on Jeopardy! in the first place.
North High Polar Prints wishes success to Emily Strobel Lewis! We’ll be cheering for you on January 30!
Note to readers: Jeopardy! contestants make an agreement not to disclose whether or not they won on the show, so we didn’t ask. We’ll all have to tune in on Tuesday, January 30 to find out!