Senior to Play Hockey and Referee

Michelle Flores, Journalism I

It seems as though there is always that one upperclassman that is known for being involved in absolutely anything and everything. Many of you might know Teddy Drake for literally being involved in anything you could possible think about.

Currently, Drake is involved in Yearbook, Student Council, North’s Theater, DECA, and the list goes on. This year, Drake is adding to his long list of extra-curricular activities. As a senior, Drake has decided to return back to the ice rink.

Similar to other athletes, Drake, as well as his older brother, have been playing hockey since they could walk, however; Drake stopped hockey as a freshman to open up room in his schedule for Show Choir. On the other hand, Drake’s older brother continued on playing hockey. Drake shares why he decided to return to hockey, “I wanted to continue playing hockey because I found that I’m someone who enjoys pushing myself out of my comfort zone and thought playing hockey again would allow me to push myself again.”

Drake didn’t stop at just potentially playing both junior varsity and varsity hockey. Drake has gone the extra mile once again; Drake has decided, as well as studied, to become a referee for hockey as well. Drake sees being a referee as a way to gradually slide back into his hockey game through relearning the rules of hockey with the money being a nice bonus.

Reffing can be a bit harsh since you’re expected to know everything your first game since angry, shouting parents will likely criticize your choices as a ref. Although angry, shouting parents aren’t the most fun, Drake hopes that this season will be filled with a lot of fun. Drake’s friends are certainly looking forward to making him signs and shouting out their support for him and the team.