• September 19Welcome to Polar Prints!

North Girls Tennis Take Down the Titans

Team+Captain%2C+Jasmine+Ulven+at+practice.+
Team Captain, Jasmine Ulven at practice.

Alison Anderson, Journalism I

North girls tennis beat Tartan last week. All four singles and three doubles matches won against Tartan, leaving an overall score of 7-0, it was a comeback from last year which was the first time North has lost to Tartans girls tennis team.

Team captain, Jasmine Ulven,  said “it was really nice to get a comeback, and because we all won of our matches we got to dump ice-cold water on our coach. It was hilarious.”

When asked about how the game went for her, Paige Stepanik said “Really well! I won both my sets against Tartan 6-2 in my position second doubles. Everyone was really motivated to win our match since we were promised to dump a bucket of water on our coaches head.”

The girls tennis team has been working hard to achieve this comeback. Paige said “I have worked really hard to improve on my backhands. I am still like learning how to slice balls better so points are easier and faster to win.”

Jasmine said that she “has had a couple lessons with a coach and I take time outside of practice to hit with some friends. It’s also nice to play with guys as well because you can match their competitive level and use it during matches.”

In efforts to improve the team as a whole Jasmine led Captain’s practices, spending time with girls who want extra practice and supports her teammates by cheering the girls on.

Jasmine said, “being a captain has a lot of responsibilities for the team, but overall it’s awesome. Captain’s practices were really fun because the team just played games the whole time and we connected more as a team.”

The girls just finished their season matches and will play for sections next Tuesday, October 3rd, and play individual sections at the U of M. There are two singles and two doubles spots for a total of six girls going to the U of M. It has not been decided yet as to which girls will go.

According to Jasmine, “this season went pretty well. We won at least five matches which overall is pretty good for a tennis season. We’ve played some hard matches in our conference. We may not have won most of them but we continued to fight hard.”

The girls have worked hard to improve and make a comeback against Tartan, and their efforts have paid off. Now that season matches are over, the girls can focus on individual sectionals and claiming a spot in the U of M sectionals.