How Does Art Here At North High School Help Students?

Calvin next to his photo (Pictured in the top right)
(Below that photo is another taken by Rian Guthe)

Calvin next to his photo (Pictured in the top right) (Below that photo is another taken by Rian Guthe)

Zachary Zinter

Zachary Zinter

Zachary Zinter, Journalism I

Art is an absolutely amazing thing that does so many things for so many different people. Art is a place people can go to, to express themselves and just purge emotions or a place to chill out and get a break from everything else that is going on. As an artist I know how art has helped me but I wondered how it helped other students here at North High School. So I interviewed a few students and asked the question “How has art helped you as a person?” along with some others, and I got a few different interesting responses.

Art has clearly made an impact on some of our North High School students, Meghan Taylor says “Art helps me see things in a different perspective.” She then shares that she isn’t the best with word and she’s able to express what she wants to say through art. The type of art she mainly focuses on is photography, henna, and drawing! She is also in the North High Symphonic Band! Another North High student, Rian Guthe, head photographer for Polar Portraits, says art gives her a place to work independently and helps her relax. She plans on doing forensics photography which as she explains is taking photos at crime scenes and things of that sort! Lastly I interviewed Calvin Pevon, Calvin continues his art very outside of school and does it frequently. He has many of his stuff at the state fair, and got a first place ribbon this year! He focuses mainly on photography, and shows his photography on his social media! I will have his information at the end of the article if you would like to check out his art! Art helps him connect with other people who have the same passion for art.But overall he says “It’s how he sees beauty in the world.”

Art continues to help students here at North high School. We see students planning careers with it or maybe just using it to take the edge off with all the other things they have going on. Art continues to help students relax and create opportunities and not only students but people everywhere!

To check out Calvin’s Art click this link! https://www.instagram.com/thedudewiththetude/